Friday, 20 August 2010

Blinded Understanding

Ever wondered why God would stop people understanding his message, as told by his followers? I have. I thought it all seemed just a tad counter-productive on his part but I trusted that he knew what he was doing, after all, who am I to question his actions?
I understand now and it makes perfect sense; it’s good when God just shows you something isn’t it? (The irony here is just beautiful)…

God, of course, isn’t malicious - he’s not going to stop people hearing a life saving message if they were going to believe it. It is, in fact, his graciousness that stops them from understanding a message they would reject.
To put it another way, imagine God in his role as judge, when someone comes before him having broken laws they didn’t understand or know about they will be treated less harshly than someone who knew the laws, understood them and broke them anyway.
God, in his amazing wisdom, knows who is going to accept him and who is not so this is his way of helping out even the people that don’t accept him by mercifully sparing them partial punishment.

This blows my mind a bit, how much God loves even those that will never accept him (keeping in mind how we all reject him at some point in our lives).

[Verses relating to God stopping people understanding his message i.e. blinding their eyes deafening their ears and hardening their hearts: John 12 vs 37 – 41 / Isaiah 6 vs 9 + 10]


***UPDATE - 21/11/2010***
I've just found 2 verses that I believe support my previous conclusion -
John 15 verse 22: "If I had not come and spoken to them they would not have been guilty of sin..." // John 15 verse 24: "I did works among them that no-one else has ever done. If I had not done these works they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen what I have done, and yet they have hated both me and my father"