Monday, 16 August 2010

Pure Evil? - Just a Thought

I always see these big media headlines about criminals – murders, rapists and the like – labelled pure evil and while I no way want to downplay the severity of what these people have done I can’t help but question, from a Biblical point of view, if such titles are accurate.
I mean, are there degrees or levels of ‘evilness’? The implication of saying it’s possible to be completely evil is that, on the other side of the coin, it’s possible to be a little bit evil or moderately evil and it’s not too often you hear people described in those terms.
Is it a case of evilness or sinfulness – are they the same thing? Non-Christians will no doubt have different views on this to believers (the theistic point of view being that everyone is sinful). I’m not sure if all Christians would agree that everyone/anyone is also therefore capable of such great atrocities as those mentioned before but I guess what really matters is how God sees things.

I could say a lot more on this as it’s such a huge topic to think about but for now I’ll let you draw your own conclusions; Feel free to debate below.