Sunday, 21 November 2010

The Greatest Love

John Ch 15 v 13 & 14 – “The greatest love a person can show is to die for his friends... you are my friends”

The first few times I read this passage I thought it was mainly getting at the fact that the disciples should love their friends enough to be willing to die for them then it hit me (like a ton of bricks) that (while the first point is still true) Jesus is in fact saying he will demonstrate this love by dying for the disciples (emphasised later in verse 14 by the statement “...you are my friends”.
But the lesson doesn’t stop there... (and I love the fact that God uses 1 point to make 3) – Jesus is also making reference to the fact that the disciples will one day give up their lives specifically for Christ in martyrdom (reinforcing the message of Matthew 16 v 24 – ‘take up your cross and follow me’).