Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Me and My Big Mouth...

I wrote on here recently that I struggle(d) a lot with being a slave to guilt and regrets. I was thinking the other day about all the regrets I have and I realised that around 90% of them are in fact things that I’ve said (as opposed to things that I’ve done - or not done - which forms the other 10%).

Those who know me well will be aware that I have a big mouth and as such I seem to suffer from ‘Foot-in-Mouth’ syndrome rather chronically – therefore, being all too aware of this, my recent realisation shouldn’t have come as such of a shock to me, needless to say, it did.

The good thing that has come out of all this is that I now have a greater sense of the importance of being wise with words. I’ve heard it said, preached, written about and probably even sung before – that the art of holding one’s tongue is such a valuable asset but it’s not until the message sinks in or ‘clicks’ via divine revelation that I’m actually moved to do something about it.

In conclusion, I think this is a tiny step on the journey towards wisdom and ultimately, God glorifying Christ-likeness (which is of course, the whole point of being a Christian).

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading through James recently. Chapter 3:1-12 are very helpful in putting everything into perspective for me.

    Via the Message James 3:10-12
    With our tongues we bless God our Father; with the same tongues we curse the very men and women he made in his image. Curses and blessings out of the same mouth! My friends, this can't go on. A spring doesn't gush fresh water one day and brackish the next, does it? Apple trees don't bear strawberries, do they? Raspberry bushes don't bear apples, do they? You're not going to dip into a polluted mud hole and get a cup of clear, cool water, are you?

    ReplyDelete