Monday, 16 September 2013

Guilt and Faith

I think what I've come to learn in the last few months (like, *really* learn) can be summed up as this: Religion is focusing on the letter of the law, while Faith is focusing on the spirit behind it. There is a big difference, and I'm happy with my choice. No-one (not even that little voice in the back of my head) is going to railroad me back into feeling guilty every single day of my life, just because I’m not perfect. I’m over it.
God is not a god of guilt. Guilt is purely a tool of the enemy. That’s not to say that God doesn’t make people feel convicted of sin, because he does, but again – there’s a big difference. Guilt is a never ending hole, whereas conviction is a tool to let you see your mistakes and turn around and change and make things right.
God doesn’t want you (or me) to not care about doing things wrong, but he doesn’t want us to dwell on it either. You must deal with it, but you must also move on.